You can find “yersheeg” or “soujouk” in the frozen section at Middle Eastern specialty stores. They are very similar to sausages. But, I prefer to make the homemade version, which doesn’t contain any preservatives, and they taste much better. You can make these in advance and freeze them. They are great when you’re having last minute company and want to serve some appetizers.
Skill level: Easy
- 2 1/2 lb ground beef
- 12 cloves of garlic
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin (see note #1 below)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Shape beef patties into flat oval shapes (same size as burger patties). This recipe will yield about 27 patties.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in a frying pan and gently fry. About 3 minutes on each side.
- 1. These patties need to be spicy. The smell and taste of the cumin and the garlic must be strong.
- 2. You can also shape them like meatballs.