A healthy and refreshing late night snack, made with Cream of Wheat which is another predominant ingredient in Mediterranean baking. Serve it plain or sprinkle chopped walnuts or pistachios. You can eat this warm or refrigerate and serve it cold. Either way it’s delicious.
Skill level: Easy
Click here to view Slideshow, Share, & Comment
Cream of Wheat – “Simit Halva” – “Mammounieh”
Classic “Armenian” Recipe
Write a review
- 1 cup cream of wheat – Farina
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 cups water
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Place the cream of wheat in a saucepan and cook on medium high heat for several minutes while stirring constantly. Make sure you watch it while it’s cooking. The cream of wheat on the sides starts to brown first. Keep mixing until the entire cream of wheat in the pan has changed color and become light brown.
- Remove from heat. If you cook it for too long, it will get very brown and then it will burn. 2. In another larger saucepan or dutch oven boil the water with the sugar.
- Once it starts to boil, using a wire whisk add the cream of wheat to the water mixture.
- Add the butter and lower heat.
- Continue to stir with a wire whisk until the mixture starts to bubble and after a few minutes of cooking, it will start to thicken. If you don’t cook it for a few minutes, the mixture will be too runny and not the right consistency.
- Once the halva has thickened, remove from heat and immediately pour into serving bowls.
- If you are adding nuts as garnish, remember to sprinkle it after the halva has cooled slightly, otherwise the nuts will sink into the mixture and you won’t see them.
- 1. Farina is whiter in color and more coarse than semolina. See the image below. You can also use the Cream of Wheat that is sold in supermarkets that come in a red box.
Velvet Edition https://www.velvetedition.com/
Leave a Reply