Steamed spinach with caramelized onions is a dish that I’ve always loved. Known to be one of the worlds healthiest foods, spinach contains vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, it restores your energy level, lowers the risk of different cancers and helps maintain a healthy blood glucose level. Spinach comes from the same family as swiss chard, beets and kale. The spinach is steamed while the onions are cooked till they are caramelized around the edges. Then they are simply tossed together and seasoned with salt, pepper and most importantly allspice. Steamed spinach with caramelized onions makes the perfect side dish to your main entrée or on it’s own with a piece of pita bread. It also tastes great if you drizzle lemon juice over it. No wonder it was Popeye the Sailor’s favorite food!
Skill level: Intermediate
Click here to view Slideshow, Share, & Comment
- 20 – 24 ounce bag spinach leaves – washed
- 2 – 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt for boiling
- 1 large onion – chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- Lemon wedges
- Fill a 7 quart saucepan halfway with water.
- Bring to a boil and add the salt.
- Plunge the spinach and leave for no longer than 2 minutes.
- Remove and drain the spinach in a colander.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Squeeze out the juice and place on a cutting board.
- Chop the spinach and set aside.
- In a 5 quart saucepan, add 2 or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Add the onions and fry till golden brown.
- Add the chopped spinach.
- Add the salt, red pepper, black pepper, allspice
- Cook for another 10 to 15 minutes on low heat.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Leave a Reply