Mujaddarah, or lentils with rice is a dish made in many Middle Eastern countries. Lentils in general are considered one of the world’s healthiest foods because of their high protein content. Brown lentils also referred to as European lentils are the most widely used because they are fast cooking and cheap. This recipe is the way I’ve learned how to make it using rice. I will show you another version of this delicious dish soon using bulgur. Mujaddarah – lentils with rice, might not be the most “attractive” dish you’ll have at the table, but it’s certainly light and healthy.
Skill level: Easy
Click here to view Slideshow, Share, & Comment
Mujaddarah – Lentils with Rice
Velvet Edition: “Mediterranean” Recipe
Write a review
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 4 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup Calrose rice
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon (omit when making for lenten)
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Add the lentils to a saucepan filled with about 2 cups of water.
- Cover and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Lower heat to medium low and let it simmer for about 5 – 8 minutes. You’ll see most of the lentils open up.
- While the lentils are cooking, in a separate saucepan, heat 4 cups of water, and keep warm.
- Drain the lentils into a colander.
- Return the lentils back to the saucepan and add the 4 cups hot water to it.
- Add the Calrose rice and seasonings to the mixture.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and with the lid slightly open, simmer till most of the water is absorbed.
- In a skillet, add 3 tablespoons vegetable oil.
- Add 1 medium onion sliced thinly (fajita style).
- Fry until lightly golden brown.
- Add the oil from the sautéed onions back into the lentils.
- Mix to incorporate the oil with the lentils and rice.
- Spread the lentil mixture onto a plate and spoon the sautéed onions over it.
- Serve at room temperature.
Velvet Edition https://www.velvetedition.com/
Leave a Reply