Cream of Wheat & Coconut Pudding is a refreshing dessert after a spicy meal. Farina is combined with desiccated coconut and milk, with a hint of mastic gum for added flavoring and cooked till thick then poured into a mold. Syrup infused with orange blossom water is drizzled over and sprinkled with chopped unsalted pistachios. For added color serve it along with some seasonal berries.
Skill level: Easy
Click here to view Slideshow, Share, & Comment
Cream of Wheat & Coconut Pudding
Velvet Edition: “Mediterranean” Recipe
Write a review
- 4 cups milk
- ½ cup cream of wheat – Farina
- ½ cup dry desiccated unsweetened coconut (see note #1 below)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon mastic gum granules
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted finely chopped pistachios
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water
- In a 5 quart saucepan add the milk, cream of wheat, desiccated coconut and sugar.
- Using a wire whisk stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil being careful not to burn the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook until thickened.
- Add the crushed mastic gum and stir to combine.
- Turn heat off and pour into prepared mold.
- Refrigerate for several hours until set.
- Invert onto a serving platter, drizzle with syrup and garnish with chopped pistachios.
- Serve and add more syrup into individual servings as needed.
- Place the pieces of mastic gum on a piece of saran wrap.
- Add the sugar.
- Fold the saran wrap a few time to form a packet.
- Using a kitchen mallet pound on the packet until the mastic gum is crushed.
- Unfold and use in your recipe.
- Prepare the syrup by placing the sugar and water in a saucepan and bringing the mixture to a boil.
- When it starts to boil add the lemon juice and continue to simmer on medium low heat for about 3 minutes. The syrup should not be thin. If you find that it is thin after it cooled, reheat and simmer it for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add the orange blossom water and leave to cool.
- 1. This is the very dry kind of coconut flakes. You can find this type of desiccated coconut flakes at Mediterranean and specialty stores.
Velvet Edition https://www.velvetedition.com/
Leave a Reply