Bok Choy Broccoli and Tofu Stir Fry is a recipe that was given to me by an asian lady selling produce at our local farmers market. It’s light, healthy and very easy to make. The oyster, hoisin and toasted sesame oil gives it a wonderful aroma. Make sure you prepare the ingredients in advance and have them ready before you start cooking. Bok choy comes from the cabbage family and is used frequently in Chinese cooking. Not only is it rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin C, it’s known to have agents that fight different types of cancer.
Skill level: Easy
Click here to view Slideshow, Share, & Comment
Bok Choy Broccoli and Tofu Stir Fry
Velvet Edition: “Trademark” Recipe
Write a review
- 1 tablespoon Hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon Oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Chinese cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger root – grated
- 5-6 garlic – crushed
- 1 pound extra firm tofu – drained
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 6 heads baby bok choy
- 4 medium sized mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Grate the ginger root and crush the garlic. Set aside.
- In a small bowl add the hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, and sugar.
- Using two or three paper towels pat dry the tofu.
- Cut the tofu horizontally once, then in half crosswise, and finally into ½ inch strips.
- In a skillet heat the peanut oil on medium high heat.
- Add the tofu pieces and then sprinkle a ½ teaspoon of the Chinese 5 spices.
- Stir-fry until the bottom turns golden brown.
- Flip the tofu over, sprinkle with the remaining Chinese 5 spices and cook till golden brown.
- Remove tofu from heat and set aside.
- Coarsely chop and separate the stems of the baby bok choy from the leaves.
- In the same oil add the ginger root and garlic and stir-fry for a minute on medium low heat.
- Add the white parts of the baby bok choy to the garlic and ginger. Stir-fry for a minute or 2 but keep it crisp.
- Add the mushrooms to the skillet.
- Add the sauce to the vegetables.
- Add the Chinese cooking wine to the sauce and stir for a minute.
- Add the green leaves of the baby bok choy.
- Cook on medium high heat for another minute.
- Add the tofu pieces, mix gently to incorporate and turn heat off.
- Drizzle lightly with the toasted sesame oil and sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve immediately.
Velvet Edition https://www.velvetedition.com/
Leave a Reply