Okra in garlic tomato sauce might not seem very attractive at first and I must confess, it wasn’t a dish that I wanted my mom to make while growing up. Okra, in my opinion is a vegetable that “grows” on you. It’s for a more sophisticated palette. You will appreciate it more as you get older. But trust me when I say that it’s delicious and as tasty as green beans, leeks or peas.
Skill level: Easy
Click here to view Slideshow, Share, & Comment
Okra in Garlic Tomato Sauce
Traditional “Armenian” Recipe
Write a review
- 1 ½ lbs fresh or frozen okra (see note #1 below)
- 5 – 6 garlic – sliced lengthwise
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 can tomatoes ( 14.5 oz )
- 3 -4 tomatoes diced (Roma)
- ½ green bell pepper – diced
- 1 can ( 6 oz ) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon pepper paste (optional but recommended)
- ¼ c. lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon all spice
- Wash the okra and place on a paper towel to dry.
- Remove the top ends off of the okra.
- Combine the ingredients for the sauce and mix gently so the tomato and pepper pastes dissolve. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil on medium high heat in a 5 quart saucepan.
- Add the okra and cover with lid.
- Every minute remove the lid and sauté by holding the saucepan with both hands and tossing the okra. Do this for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato mixture and seasoning.
- Cover again, and cook on medium low heat.
- 1. It will take about an hour to cook fresh okra.
- 2. Frozen okra takes about 30 minutes to be fully cooked. Add the frozen okra directly to the hot oil. No need to thaw.
Velvet Edition https://www.velvetedition.com/
Leave a Reply