Northern beans are very popular in Mediterranean cooking especially in salads and stews. They are relatively small in size and have a delicate flavor. The nutritional benefits of these beans are endless. They are low in fat, high in fiber, cholesterol free and contain protein which makes them an excellent alternative to eating red meat. They also contain folate, a water soluble B complex vitamin important for your body’s metabolism. Northern beans in tomato sauce is usually served along side rice with vermicelli and a garden salad with lemon and mint dressing.
Skill level: Easy
Click here to view Slideshow, Share, & Comment
Northern Beans in Tomato Sauce
Velvet Edition: “Mediterranean” Recipe
Write a review
1 hr 30 min
1 hr 30 min
- 2 cups Northern White beans
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon pepper paste (optional)
- 5 – 6 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon chicken bouillon (omit when making for Lenten)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper
- Soak the beans overnight in a bowl filled with enough water to cover by 1 inch.
- Next day, rinse the beans and place in a saucepan. Add enough water to cover the beans. Boil the beans for about 5 – 10 minutes on high heat. As it boils, remove any foam that forms on the surface. Drain in a colander.
- In a 5 quart saucepan and on medium high heat add the cooking oil.
- Add the tomato paste and the pepper paste. Stir fry gently for a 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 9 to 10 cups of water and bring the water to a boil.
- Add the garlic, salt and the boiled beans.
- Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil for about 5 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium, cover the lid but leave slightly open and continue to cook for 30 minutes. The water should keep bubbling.
- Then reduce heat, add bouillon, red pepper and black pepper and continue to cook for another 30 minutes.
- 1. Add the seasoning towards the end, otherwise the sauce will get too dark.
- 2. If you forget to soak the beans overnight, you can prepare them this way instead.
- Fill a large pot with water, bring to a boil and set aside simmering on low heat.
- In a large saucepan add the dry northern beans and fill the pot with enough water to cover by about 1 inch. Bring the water to a boil and boil for about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Place the beans back in the saucepan and from the reserved pot, add hot water, enough to cover the beans. Bring to a boil, boil for another 5 minutes and drain.
- Repeat this last step 2 more times, and continue with the recipe starting from step 3.
Velvet Edition https://www.velvetedition.com/
Click on the first image below to view a step by step slideshow:
Leave a Reply