Mutabbal Baba Ghanoush is made with eggplants, tahini and lemon juice. A condiment that goes perfectly with any dish you make, such as lamb or chicken. You can roast them in the oven, but the best way is to grill them. You can make large quantities at one time and then freeze them in freezer safe bags. Serve them with Pita bread, toasted French bread or with a tray of your favorite vegetables.
Skill level: Easy
- 3 large eggplants
- 5 Tablespoon Tahini
- 5 Tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- Olive oil, red pepper and parsley for garnish
- Score each eggplant at 1 inch lengths and ½ inch deep slits.
- Make about 6 slits in each eggplant, randomly placed
- Grill about 30 minutes, turning frequently until they are charred
- Remove from grill and leave to cool on a plate
- Open each eggplant, and remove as much of the seeds as possible.
- Then remove the skin and place the eggplant filling in a colander to drain. Leave for at least 15 – 20 minutes.
- Place the eggplants in a bowl and using a fork, break the eggplants apart. You can use a food processor, on pulse setting, making sure not to overbeat.
- Mix the dressing with the eggplant and empty in a shallow bowl.
- Garnish with olive oil, red pepper, and parsley
- 1. Instead of grilling you can line a baking pan with foil and broil the eggplants, turning occasionally till done. But grilling is the classic way, and much more flavorful.