In April, if you are out at your local farmers market, you’ll probably see Fava beans on the stands. I cook them in tomato sauce and smother garlic yogurt mix over it just before eating. If you can’t find the fresh kind, you can use frozen Fava beans. Cooking time for is the same for both. The only difference is that the frozen kind comes with just the beans. Usually when I buy fresh Fava beans, I pick the smaller ones, because I can include the outer shell also. If the beans are large, use only the beans and discard the shells.
Skill level: Easy
Click here to view Slideshow, Share, & Comment
Fava Beans with Garlic Yogurt Dressing
Velvet Edition: “Mediterranean” Recipe
Write a review
- 2 pounds fresh or frozen Fava beans
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon (omit when making for lenten)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 3 cups water
- 4 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- Wash the beans and set aside in a bowl.
- Remove ends and strings on both sides of each bean.
- Keep the outer shell of smaller sized beans and discard the rest.
- The shells that you keep, cut into two.
- In a 4 quart saucepan, and on medium heat add about 2 tablespoons cooking oil.
- Add the beans and any water left in the bowl, then cover pan with lid. Keep a close eye to make sure you don’t burn the beans.
- Cook for about 20 minutes while tossing the saucepan until the beans start to wilt and change slightly in color.
- Add the tomato paste and the seasonings.
- Add the water and turn the heat up to high. Let it boil for about 3 to 5 minutes. Then lower heat and leave to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Prepare the garlic dressing by combining the yogurt, garlic and 2 tablespoons of the water in a small bow. Mix. Then add the remaining 2 tablespoons of water. If you add all the water in at once, the mixture will not blend and the yogurt will be lumpy.
Velvet Edition https://www.velvetedition.com/
Leave a Reply